5.11.2013

Review: Blood and Snow (Vol 5-8) by RaShelle Workman








Title: Blood and Snow (Vol. 5-8)
Author: RaShelle Workman
Publisher: Polished Pen Press
Publication Date: January 1st, 2013
Pages: 175
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
Source: ARC from Publisher

Rating:

Summary (from Goodreads): "Lips red as rubies, hair dark as night. Drink your true love's blood, become the Vampire, Snow White."

EVERY THOUSAND YEARS THE VAMPIRE QUEEN SELECTS A NEW BODY, ALWAYS THE FAIREST IN THE LAND, AND THIS TIME SHE'S CHOSEN SNOW WHITE. 




  

     
     This is a series of 12 volumes but I will be reviewing them in groups of 4. See my review for books 1-4 HERE. Overall, I have really been enjoying this series. I was a little wary at first, thinking "dear Lord, not ANOTHER vampire book!" But once I began reading I couldn't seem to put it down. At first it was strange when I finished the first volume at page 55, and I know some people aren't huge fans of how short they are, but I find it unique and refreshing. Instead of ending at a certain chapter, I can just end at the beginning of the next novelette. 

     Also, the style of writing. I like it. Instead of feeling like an adult trapped in a young girl's body, RaShelle Workman does well engaging me in the mind of an immature and hormonal 15 year old. For some reason a lot of people didn't like this, but I think becoming and identifying with your characters makes a good writer.

     Now for the overall storyline! I know I know, unfortunately with these YA vampire stories there are bound to be repeats of other vampire stories. But can you blame them for taking rules and knowledge of certain creatures that we all grew up with and applying them to their stories? We all know *something* happens to vampires in the sunlight, and generally they live for thousands of years because they aren't quite human. These authors do well to add their own little twists. I'm just glad we've steered away from them sleeping in coffins and not being able to get their pictures taken. 

     There were some things I could easily compare to Twilight but...do I dare say this? I think this has a much deeper storyline than Twilight ever did. Aside from the repeats, I have fallen in love with this twist of Snow White. The more I read, the more there was to learn. There were cliffhangers that kept me wanting to read more, and also made me have to stop and process what the heck was going on because I was straight up shocked. However, I think it would make a little more sense if Snow was a little older. There are times it just seems slightly out of place that she is 15 and her parents are leaving her unattended for long periods of time when she can't even drive. But luckily, during this set of 4, that gets better, too.

I give it 4/5 Stars for the second set of books. 

5. PREY AND MAGIC: When blood is all you crave, is there even a choice?

So we left off at the end of book 4 where the cliffhanger made me HAVE to continue on. It seems at the beginning of this novelette Snow is also trying to grasp her actions and their consequences. This is also the first time we are introduced to the Vampire Queen herself, and discover where Christopher has disappeared to. A whole new slew of information is thrown to us the thickens the plot even further.

6. MASQUERADE MOON: Professor Pops throws Snow White a Masquerade Ball for her sixteenth birthday. A war is brewing and her party may be the battle ground.

I felt like it took us forever to get to Snow's 16th birthday. When we began, it was only supposed to be two months until her Sweet 16, but I felt like the timing of everything was a bit inconsistent. Other than that, this was where the real world and the magical world finally collided. The party, unfortunately, is a little less of a success. Gabe's emotions are starting to give me whiplash. There is Good vs Evil vs Evil (yes, I do mean to put evil in there twice) and we rediscover the Seal of Gabriel that apparently has more power than we realize.

7. SEAL OF GABRIEL: The are seven magical properties in the Seal of Gabriel. Snow learns how the Seal was created.

Snow is "asleep" and for a significantly long time. She "meets" Silindra and we learn more about her, the magical world, and the Seal of Gabriel. Quite a few things going on at home while Snow is "asleep." Gabe still seems to be in love and sweet and the Gabe that we adore. He tries to kill Christoper.

8. TELLTALE KISSES: Finding out who you are can be difficult, especially if you're a teenage girl who's become a vampire. Snow White discovers why she was sent back to Silindra's time. She also receives several kisses, possibly even one from her true love.

Still asleep, Snow discovers Silindra's true fate and how it comes about. I'm extremely disappointed in Gabe with this one! And a certain other individual who shall not be named for spoilers sake. My own emotions were thrown into a twist while reading this installment! And the boys are kissing to the max. Snow finally wakes up at the end and the Seal now resides within her.

'Til Next Time,

No comments:

Post a Comment