5.14.2013

Author Interview: Lexmilian de Mello - Author of Percarus






Today we have a special guest, Lexmilian de Mello. If you're a fan of poetry and delving deeper into the philosophies of life, then you will really enjoy his compilation of poetry, Percarus. I had the honor of reviewing his work and found it very insightful and interesting. It isn't very often I receive poetry to review, but this was one of those occasions so I took it. Disclaimer: The following are the thoughts, musings, and opinions of the author and are not in reflection of the reviewer.


Lexmilian S. R. B. de Mello is an individual intrigued by the diminishing energy resources within this world. Equipped with four post graduate degrees ranging from engineering,business and sciences he aspires towards three goals alone; eudaimonia, ataraxia and abolishment of evil. As a firm believer of an afterlife, and the divinity of God, his philosophies warrant further certainty that life is indeed long, but definitely not ‘eternal’. Mr. de Mello cherishes bonds between family friends and to him a stranger is but a friend to be yet met, in due time. Aged at 34 years at the time compiling his book, he endeavours to pursue further interests in art and engineering in his lifetime. Considering himself an altruist (but definitely not a ‘pure altruist’) he hopes that one day he too shall become a philanthropist in life. With an admiration for English finesse it is hoped that one day he will become an English gentleman. Born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with an upbringing in the country of Australia, it is his philosophy that diversity on this Earth ought to be ensured for the very survival of humanity as a species. Tolerance of all faiths becomes an epitomic step in his philosophies to ensure the very sanctity of life, and hence God’s ultimate plan. And so being his second published book, from an amalgamation of poetry he comprised as a hobby, it is hoped this segment of his diary is thoroughly enjoyed.










Title: Percarus
Author: Lexmilian de Mello
Publisher: Xlibris
Publication Date: April 26, 2013
Pages: 333
Genre: Poetry
Source: eBook from Author

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Summary (from the Author): ‘Percarus’, the eBook, is a compilation entailing various non-fictional tales that illustrate the sheer reality of human folly and portrays in good light facets that may be perceived as ‘normal’ for various enlightened individuals.  Tales and experiences with the paranormal, and seemingly unusual, are touched upon based on the author’s own experiences, and a New Age perspective is brought into light into issues very much dear to humanity, that is, religion, faiths, creeds, and individual pain and despair.

The purpose of the book is first to amuse and impart readers with an elevated state of accrued wisdom.  It is only by understanding that individuals differ in lifestyle, experiences, and to some degree emotions, that we are able to truly cherish the book for what it is – an indirect autobiographical glimpse as seen from the eyes of the author.

In January of 2013, I became motivated, by the actions of my close friends, to get ‘typing’ and in doing so, unleash my heart into words.  Not being unfamiliar to the literal world, such a move came naturally to me.  The first eBook in the sequel was roughly compiled and distributed as FREEWARE.  Given a few weeks contemplation it was then decided to truly express my poetic self into words in order to inspire readers; not just my close friends this time but a much wider populace.

Completion of the second eBook proceeded at about the same pace as the first, and approximately it took me about twenty working days to finish both compilations – although, becoming void of new ideas towards the final closure.  By the 12th of March, 2013, I proof read my first eBook once, and the second book took a more erratic approach to proof-reading as I would only open pages randomly (when bored) and correct what mistakes I would see.  It is my estimate that there are mayhap 5 grammar errors in the second eBook – I am not altogether sure, but the intention was to type from the heart and not meticulously perfect my writing to the point of paperback publishing.

'Percarus' was intended to portray a message of World Peace, and basic concepts of reason, as disclosed within the book, I would warrant that such notions are not beyond grasp within the puzzling and misunderstood world by which we reside in.  The book itself is written in ‘Early Modern English’ for the greater part, with a great focus on modernistic and old poetic prose standards.  The beauty and elegance of words is representative that it is indeed by communication that individual voices are heard and the misunderstood simply understood.

Aspects pertaining to fundamental concepts as dictated by Ethics are subconsciously touched upon through a story-telling narrative that unravels itself given progression in reading.  Historical and personal accounts enclosed within the pages further illustrate how different societies (and views) are altogether very similar when reason and empathy is explored by the reader’s own intuitive sense.  Compiled with good humour it is hoped that this aspect of the book is the fundamental crucial factor that motivates one to read further.  Tolerance, rationality, and sheer logic would warrant that any cultural barriers be indeed broken so as to pave path for the reader’s spiritual growth.

First, I would like to thank you for being a guest at The Indigo Quill. I really enjoyed going through your book and being enlightened by your thoughts and the journey of your writing. I just have a few questions I would like to ask you.

Please explain the title for your book.
The title of the book, ‘Percarus’, is representative of a Latin adjective meaning, ‘very dear / much loved’.  It is symbolic and representative of lucid honesty and sincerity – it also epitomizes the essence of altruism, this where the aspects of what is ‘good’ should always be loved and admired.  The author perceives Jesus/ʿĪsā as the epitome of not just altruism but ‘pure altruism’, and when accrediting the words within the book as facets pertaining to an earnest heart it seemed suitable to refer to the compilations as a facet that every sentient being loves – that is, sheer love, honesty and empathetic compassion.


Who or what has inspired your style of writing?
As explained in the second book the work itself was inspired by the actions of immediate friends.  Charles Bukowski’s work served as a vital inspirational piece so as to acquire the reader’s attention throughout the book, this by including a modernistic story telling medley in similar style to the pre-mentioned poet.  Harold Bloom’s analysis of poetic masterminds, as in his book ‘Genius’, served as inspirational models for much of my poetry.  However, I sought to alter and develop my own style whilst concentrating on the beauty and eloquence of early modern English.


When projecting the words within the book I really felt it necessary to let my heart guide me most of the way and often I placed myself in a reader’s stance to better articulate the story I intended to be unfolded as it progressed.  For considerable time I had been experimenting with the usage of uncommon words in my own personal diary, and hence writing was not unfamiliar to me.  My quest for better English eloquence motivated me severely during the compilation of my book and the search for ‘suitable’ words paved path for a great degree of enjoyment in disclosing this small segment of my spirit.

Explain your writing format.
My writing style does change significantly from section to section within the book.  Often I tried to perceive as to how the stories would sound if spoken by someone with an authentic English gentleman lisp – in specific I had the character from ‘V for Vendetta’, ‘V’ (directed by James McTeigue), as a subconscious role model and narrator for a great degree of my pieces.  I do not pay too much attention to a sonnet structure at the beginning of my book, but towards the second book the transformation can be seen as complete.  My favorite form was the four line stanza but portrayed in narrative story telling form.  In several of my pieces syllable rhyming was not seen as of prime importance but more-so the way the message (sometimes in metaphor or symbolism) was projected.  The main aim was to portray a visual impact through its originality in structure, and in order to maintain the reader’s interest it was deemed styles regularly change.

I noticed throughout your book you’ve added some education for your readers (archaic terminology,  symbolism). Tell us a little bit about why you decided to include this and why it is placed where it is instead of in the very beginning or end.
The archaic nomenclature (starting on page 8 – courtesy of LordZB) and definitions were included near the beginning of the book so as to act as a test of the reader’s genuine interest ought they proceed further.  Archaic English was not necessarily used in my book, and I do believe I even patented a new English word in this quest for eloquence; this being ‘beeth’.  Mayhap I picked such a word from earlier studies, I am not sure, but what I intended was for the reader to become hooked into the book’s tales from page 48 onwards.


I consider myself to be an altruist (definitely not a ‘pure’ one – which will unselfishly serve others in their entirety) and to me I sought it as a duty to praise websites and sources that motivated a degree of emotions within me.  The ‘dictionary of Ro’ was hardly used at all within my book, but I just felt I had a moral duty to pay respect to Rev. Edward Powell for devising a new language that very few actually hear of.  To me, any attempt to construct a new language should be admired for such efforts exist solely with an altruist tendency to better the lives of sentient beings.  It is through communication that feelings are expressed and we can then heed the despair of our common brother/sister.

I did consider utilizing Esperanto within my poetry but my knowledge of its vocabulary was severely limited and I believed it lacked the aspect of comedy, unlike the dictionary of Ro, ie: “Futob thine torso beeth;” – to me seemed completely hilarious and the most polite way to say something that could have been deemed otherwise offensive.  At the end of the day it seemed completely inappropriate to include a glossary for the unusual words I used at the end of the book – this as a web link was made readily available for search of the obsolete English words I used and more.

What is the significance in your many references to animals?
Oh yes, by that I believe you refer to cats and dog’s mainly.  These relate to my personal sentiments to pets I have had in the past.  I adore cats, and I had a deep fondness for my German shepherd within the greater Amazon region.  Cats are idolized by many and it is even symbolic to ancient occult practices and divinity itself.  In my experiences I always had to be alert of some felines as they ‘clawed and wacked’ deep within my skin – shedding much blood.  Strange phenomena are witnessed in animals when they are raised with all due attention, akin to raising a child.  It is my belief that some pets (if properly educated) may start to think very similar to human beings, and personifying animals in my stories completes the picture of the human living environment and hence gives an accurate account of society.  It is a shame that indeed some will love animals to a greater extent than they will a human being from a different culture, faith, or creed.


I really enjoyed the vulnerability you displayed through your work. Did you find this difficult to do at all?
Compiling of the sequel of books was altogether a very easy task, this because I had been inspired from the heart and matters dear to me.  What was difficult was constraining myself in divulging information that I simply deemed too private – in some instances I even ‘let go’ of my privacy in order to reach out to any potential troubled readers so that they too understand they are not alone in this urbane human jungle we live in; riddled with abnormalities.  I do not believe I can compile another book on the same genre without destroying my elemental sanctity of the ‘self’.


There are tales in relations to the paranormal within both my books; these were all my experiences with the unseen.  I have met many individuals with similar paranormal tales (although with much less credibility) and at times I ponder as to whether a grand designer purposely crosses my path with such individuals (and not with non-believers) so as to maintain the illusion that the ‘unseen universe’ (dark matter) does not exist to those without faith.  But in regards to your question I don’t see myself as disclosing my tales in a state of vulnerability but instead of sheer necessity, as imposed by nature or a higher force, so as to let those without hope know that indeed there is light at the end of the tunnel if you are but willing to change your perspective in life.

In three words, how would you describe your writing journey?
Productive, Entertaining, Purposeful

Do you see yourself writing more books/poetry in the future?
I do not believe I will write more poetry books for at least another two to three decades.  I am, however, contemplating writing a philosophy and science based book that indeed utilizes pseudo logic and sheer reason so as to warrant it as certainty that indeed there is a thereafter, and that given time we all attain our heart’s desire paving forth the abolishment of jealousy, enviousness, and ill-sentiments towards one another altogether.  I became rather inspired by a book, ‘The Physics of Immortality – by Frank J. Tipler’, which was completely scientific based but lacked the fundamental touch of ‘traditional’ philosophy as encompassed by humane wisdom.  In other words, I do see myself interpreting seemingly unintelligible works into a language that is easier to understand for someone without an education.


Do you have any favorite authors or poets?
William Shakespeare would be my favorite poet (cliché, I know), being biased from early school, although I was never able to read all his works.  I can’t exactly isolate an all-rounder favorite author but the philosopher I respect and admire most is Aristotle by a landslide…  Aristotle taught me about eudaimonia, what it is and how it is a necessity for all sentient beings to attain (not necessarily this lifetime).  If one was to ask me the fabled philosophy question, ‘what is the meaning of life?’, I would attribute it to the eventual attainment of eudaimonia – everyone’s eudaimonia is different.


Lastly, what would you like your readers to know before reading your book?
I regularly go to church, I am a liberal Presbyterian in fact, and I regular donate $20 in tithes despite being broke and without a job.  In the initial launch of my book I contacted 500 individuals and only one friend donated any money towards the book, this $20.  I intend donating 15% of all profits to two Indian charity organizations; i) Indian Red Cross, ii) Make a Difference.  Additional profits will be utilized for noble reasons only and if indeed a large number of donators became available I would seek to increase my donations to charity – mayhap become a philanthropist in life even.  So what I am asking you is to please be generous, and if you indeed enjoyed this spontaneously created book (from the heart), then indeed donate. 

Thank you so much for your time. I really enjoyed your book! It has been a true pleasure having you as a guest and I wish you the best of luck on your future writing endeavors.

If you would like more information on Mr. de Mello, or your own copy of Percarus, please visit the following:




2 comments:

  1. I read this book and must say my head was swimming a mere five minutes into it. De Mello's style is not for the lightweight, transient reader.

    I was particularly impressed by the juxtaposition of olde-world diction and contemporary subject matter. Some parts read like stream-of-consciousness akin to Hubert Selby Jr., and others like a fever-dream of a dying inmate.

    Worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete