9.10.2014

Review: Manga Classics: Pride and Prejudice by Stacy King

Title: Pride and Prejudice
Series: Manga Classics
Author: Stacy King
Illustrator: PoTse
Publication Date: August 19th, 2014
Publisher: Udon Entertainment
Genre: Manga, Graphic Novel
Pages: 377
ISBN: 1927925185
Source: ARC from Publisher
Rating: 

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Beloved by millions the world over, Pride & Prejudice is delightfully transformed in this bold new manga adaptation. All of the joy, heartache, and romance of Jane Austen’s original, perfectly illuminated by the sumptuous art of manga-ka Po Tse, and faithfully adapted by Stacy E. King

Manga Classics is a co-production between UDON Entertainment and Morpheus Publishing" so it shows that they are legit partners.
  






Writer, seamstress & Marketing Manager at UDON Entertainment. 


My obsessions include historical costuming, comics, manga, young adult fiction, magic realism, chocolate, and the oxford comma. I enjoy decaf tea, art house cinema, dressing up & getting down.









I'll be honest, when I saw that a manga version of Pride and Prejudice was releasing, I thought there was no way it could even come close doing justice to Jane Austen's world. I can't say that it stands within the same caliber, I mean, classic Brit-Lit and Japanese Manga are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. However, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at just how much I enjoyed this version of one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures.

If you are unfamiliar with Jane Austen and her notorious work, Pride and Prejudice, shame on you. Either pick up the original book, or, if you are not a big reader, this graphic novel may be the perfect opportunity for you to seize and learn all about our literary heartthrob, Mr. Darcy. Jane Austen was the master of the original chick-lit that women have deliciously divulged in for centuries. Why? Because she gave women what they wantedL a fairy-tale romance without the fairies. A love story people felt they could obtain. Not to mention, the idea that social class can be overcome by the power of love.

So what about this new approach to this beloved story? As previously stated, I enjoyed it way more than I expected. Manga is not new to me. I took three years of Japanese, and I'm a sucker for esthetically pleasing illustrations. This version is a unique and lovely interpretation of Pride and Prejudice that can easily open even the least likely of readers to a classic they may not otherwise expose themselves to. I think it's a great opportunity for people who have difficulty reading to open themselves to classic stories in an entertaining way. I hope to see more books from this publisher in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment