6.22.2014

Review: One Wish (Thirteen Treasures Prequel) by Michelle Harrison

Title: One Wish
Series: Thirteen Treasures Prequel
Author: Michelle Harrison
Publication Date: May 22nd, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction
Pages: 346
ISBN13: 9781471121654
Source: ARC from Publisher
Rating:

Synopsis (from Goodreads): 
One wish only, understood? There are rules, so listen good . . .

The Spinney Wicket Wishing Tree can grant your heart’s desire – just wish out loud, or hang a message from its branches. It sounds as though the Wishing Tree is just a sweet old tradition, but Tanya is only too aware how real its magic could be.

Tanya can see fairies, and would love to meet someone else can see them too. When she meets Ratty and his cheeky fairy, Turpin, it seems at last she’s found them. But Ratty has a secret, and a dangerous enemy who'll stop at nothing to get to him.

Tanya must use her one wish to save her new friend - but wishes should be used wisely . . .

A | Gr


My first children's novel, THE 13 TREASURES, won the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize and has been sold for translation in 17 countries worldwide. It's followed by two sequels: THE 13 CURSES and THE 13 SECRETS.


I've also written UNREST, a ghost novel for young adult readers.


Before becoming a full-time writer I worked in publishing as an editor, and also as a bookseller. I'm currently working on a second novel for teens, and have a new novel, ONE WISH, publishing in the UK on June 5th 2014. I live in Oxfordshire and I have a son, Jack, and two cats.

     In One Wish, we travel to the land of Spinney Wicket (I love that name!) with Tanya and her trusty companion, Oberon (her dog). Tanya has been tormented by fairies her whole life. Not the cute, glowing kind that yell "Hey! Listen!" when in peril, but little mischief makers with hairy toes that sew all the openings to her clothes shut and change the answers on your homework. She has never met anyone with this second sight until she meets Ratty, who is accompanied by a fairy that serves more as a rascally guardian. Oh, and then there's this rather poetic tree you can wish on. Once.

As usual, I have to mention the cover art. I've been researching who the cover artist is and I can't seem to find it. If I do, I will definitely post it. Regardless, I love the cover. It's magical and delightfully colorful. I love the boxy artistry and how it manages to be both innovative and simple at the same time.

I totally want to live in this whimsical world Harrison has created. The characters were appealing and I loved how she filled in the conventional plot hole of kids-whose-parents-aren't-in-the-picture and made things more realistic by adding Tanya's mother and even her dog. Although, I probably wouldn't have brought my pet along with me to go fight magical creatures unless said pet was a magical creature itself. I loved the fairies, even though they were little tyrants who seemed to make people's lives more difficult. And some of the villains were extremely creepy, but we like creepy here at The Indigo Quill so that only enhanced the storyline.

I honestly was unaware that this was part of a series, and now that I'm aware of this lovely little tidbit, I plan on reading the rest of the Thirteen Treasures series. I can't wait to continue Tanya's adventures in the world of second sight!

This story was infused with an array of colors and dynamics that held my attention and made me enthusiastic to read it. If you're looking for an adventure that involves a touch of magic without overdoing it, then you will love this book. Pick it up at your nearest bookstore and cross the threshold into Harrison's magical world of fairies and wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment