6.04.2014

Guest Post: The New Reality (Alex Pella Series #1) by Stephen Martino

Title: The New Reality
Series: Alex Pella Series
Author: Stephen Martino
Publication Date: May 15th, 2014
Publisher: Light Messages Publishing
Genre: Medical Political Thriller
Pages: 326
ISBN: 978-1-61153-074-2 (paperback)
ISBN: 978-1-61153-075-9 (ebook)

Synopsis (from Author): 
 Author Stephen Martino delivers an action-packed medical thriller in a heart-stopping race to save humanity.
In the year 2080, a deadly retrovirus is inadvertently released upon the planet. Facing financial ruin and catastrophic loss of life, the world’s nations turn to acclaimed neuroscientist Alex Pella and NIH expert Marissa Ambrosia. 
Assembling a team of experts, the scientists begin an international search for the cure while fighting off a foreign elite military unit sent to stop them at all costs. Guided by a code concealed within the Hebrew text of the Old Testament, the scientists must traverse ancient lands and solve a biblical riddle in their quest to save humanity from its eminent destruction.


Drawing from both our nation’s politically charged environment and the worldwide economic crisis, The New Reality follows Alex Pella on a journey that projects a frightening path for human existence in the twenty-first century.
A | B&N | Gr






Stephen Martino holds an M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania and is a neurologist in New Jersey. When he is not working, he can be found with his five children doing homework or cheering them on at a soccer field, basketball court, or dance recital. Martino is a member of the Knights of Columbus, a Cub Scout den leader and is an active public speaker, helping to educate the local community and healthcare professionals on the signs, symptoms and treatment of stroke. THE NEW REALITY is his first novel.





Five things I Wish I Knew Before Writing

The humble truth is that there are well over five things I wish I knew before writing. After studying medicine and science my whole life, the first and foremost thing I wish I knew before writing is simple punctuation. Though it seems so trivial, it is the most important component to be an effective writer. As my first editor jokingly pointed out years ago, “There are such things as periods and commas. Get to know them.” However, with practice and a significant learning curve, I began to master the basics.

The second thing I wish I knew before writing a novel is to fully get to know my material before writing. When I wrote my first novel, I researched the project as I went along and wrote it on a chapter by chapter basis. When reviewing this process before staring The New Reality, I realized how time consuming and inefficient it was. According, before I sat down to type the first chapter of The New Reality, I had it completely researched, outlined, end even diagramed. It made writing this novel so much more entertaining and easy. I was able to really able to give each chapter the proper attention and keep it in proper context with regard to the entire plot of the novel.

The last three things I wish I knew before writing all deal with getting a novel published. First of all, who knew that getting a literary agent would be such an enormous ordeal? In the end, I felt as if I had a better chance of winning a lottery than landing an agent. The experience was certainly humbling. In fact, as I joke about now, I was not rejected that much when I was still in the dating scene. Also, I painfully discovered that having an agent was certainly no guarantee that major publishing houses would come knocking on my door. In fact, I was inundated with even more rejections from various publishers before one graciously believed in me and my work enough to take me on as a writer. Lastly, the most important thing I wish I knew before writing is in order to be an author you need both perseverance and a strong belief in your work. Without a full commitment in either, you will never get published. I never truly understood or appreciated just how many different authors that were also out there attempting bring their novel to the market. The goal is somehow to stand out in this crowd and show that your work deserves to be read.

Though the road to getting The New Reality to publication was a difficult one, the journey has been well worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment