7.04.2013

Review: Sparkly Green Earrings by Melanie Shankle









Title: Sparkly Green Earrings
Author: Melanie Shankle
Publication Date: February 8th, 2013
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers
Pages: 222
Genre: Humor, Parenting, Christian Non Fiction
Source: ARC from Publisher

Rating: 


Synopsis (from the Goodreads):  “There is really no better indicator you’re a mother than acquiring the ability to catch throw-up in a plastic bag, disinfect your hands, and immediately ask your friend to pass the beef jerky as you put on another Taylor Swift song and act as if nothing has happened.”

This is the type of insight Melanie Shankle offers in this quirky memoir of motherhood.

Written in the familiar, stream-of-consciousness style of her blog, Big Mama, Sparkly Green Earrings is a heartwarming and hilarious look at motherhood from someone who is still trying to figure it all out. Filled with personal stories—from the decision to become a mother to the heartbreak of miscarriage and ultimately, to the joy of raising a baby and living to tell about it—Sparkly Green Earrings will make you feel like you’re sitting across the table from your best friend. A must-read for anyone who’s ever had a child or even thought about it.



  


 Oh my goodness. This has to be one of the funniest books I have ever read. And I seriously mean ever. I honestly couldn't put it down because it was like watching a comedy flick. Make sure you have some popcorn and a delicious beverage ready when you read this. If you are a woman, have children, or ever plan on having children, you need to read this book. Melanie Shankle goes through just about every detail of child birth, from trying to conceive to raising a child and surviving it. I found myself laughing and crying with her through the journey of motherhood. 

 I myself have not yet had children, but I am reaching that time in my life and I found this book eye opening and useful. You always hear about the early mornings and time consumption, but Miss Shankle didn't sugar coat anything for us. Actually, her personality and no-beating-around-the-bush gusto reminded me a lot of myself (is that a little ridiculous to say?). She must be part redhead... ;)


 Anyway, this was the most enjoyable book I have read in quite a while. It's a nice, light read and I thoroughly enjoyed Miss Shankle's insight and wit. I think the only thing that knocked off that .5 point was the formatting, which I'm positive was meant to be informal in the least. I thought the side notes were funny, but my OCD (or CDO, in alphabetical order as they should be) caused me to cringe at the back-to-back parenthesis. I'm sorry. I couldn't help it. I am human. 


Should you read this book? YES. When? RIGHT NOW. So go ahead and run to B&N, grab a Caramel Salted Frappuccino from the Starbucks within (those things are freakin' AH-mazing!) and if your B&N has the same placement as ours, this lovely little gem will be waiting for you on the end cap of the Christian Biography section. 

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks great. It is defiantly going to the to be read list!

    ReplyDelete