7.21.2013

Review: The Selection (The Selection #1) by Kiera Cass







Title: The Selection (The Selection #1)
Author: Kiera Cass
Publication Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Harper Teen
Genre: YA, Chick Lit
Pages: 327
Source: My local library :)

Rating:



Synopsis (from the Cover): For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

  

Sooooo I noticed this series has become increasingly popular. I received the second book from someone (or at least I thought I did, apparently it is expired and now I'm number 26 on the library's waiting list...good grief!), but I couldn't read that one until I read the first one because I'm all dedicated like that. I was the 16th person on hold for this book, so I had high hopes. And I'll be honest, I like pretty dresses, dangit! Sue me!

How do I begin to sum up this book? Well, if The Hunger Games and The Bachelor had a baby, it would be The Selection. Not that it is anywhere as in depth as The Hunger Games, but same idea: instead of districts you have castes (status), people still go hungry, there's a number of people chosen for this big national event (but instead of fighting for her life physically, the heroin fights for her life metaphorically), she must choose between the old guy and the new guy, and the new guy charms her on national television. We have the literary parallels of Katniss, Peeta, Gale, Effie, and Caesar. She even has a little sister she adores, whom I assume parallels Primrose. 

Then, of course, we have the whole "Team" thing. Team Maxon or Team Aspen? I guess we could throw in a little Twilight in this retrospect. It probably isn't the most impressive thing for an author to be compared to another series, but let's be honest here Miss Cass, you knew exactly what you were doing!

So then we have The Bachelor who has to choose between 35 girls which one will be his wife and the future Queen of Illea (the reformed version of the United States). It was really weird how unlike a Prince he was. I mean...he called her buddy. Seriously? Did that really just happen? I mean, if the United States ever became a monarchy, I can imagine our royalty would be a little less than regal. Look at our current President. I think sarcasm is his primary language. That's an observation, not an insult. He is obviously a lot less conservative than previous Presidents. But anyway, it was really weird. And if this took place after a third World War and survived a reform, then I would expect it to be a little more futuristic than it was within the setting.

Let's talk about the heroin's name. Okay. "America" could be a cool name. I could dig that. But considering her class was artsy, and she was a singer, and her last name was, in fact, "Singer," I really think we could've done a better job with that one. It's like saying "hmm. I'm from what used to be Constantinople and I'm a muggle. Therefore my name will be Constantinople Muggle."

If I hadn't read The Hunger Games, I *probably* could've enjoyed this a lot more. But like I said, you knew what you were doing Kiera Cass!! However, now that I started, I'm going to have to finish. Maybe it will get better. Maybe it won't, and it'll be like Twilight where the majority of the books I don't even remember because they were significantly insignificant. At least there are pretty dresses. Although I do NOT approve of putting a redhead in a RED DRESS. Dear God, she must've looked like a stoplight. Bad move, Cass, bad move. If you need some redhead fashion tips, just shoot me an email. It's okay. I won't tell anyone. Pink would've been better, BTW. Even teal. Or mint green. Just go consult your new BFF4E, The Color Wheel.

I WILL say that what I have seen of the author herself she seems pretty cool. I would still be her friend.

If you're into literary fads, then by all means read this book. If not, well, do not read this book. I guess there's a novella between this and the second one. I'll try to snag myself copies of both and we shall see what happens, but the setting is pretty...set. I guess my 5 star rating streak of the week has officially been set and match. 

Just a side note, I did find the tribute in the beginning to be mildly entertaining:


May the odds be ever in your favor,     

No comments:

Post a Comment